We’re adopting!

// April 27th, 2011 // family

This is probably not huge news to some of our closest friends and family, but to most people it will be the first they’ve heard about our plans to grow our family.

We’re smack dab in the middle of the process. Awhile ago we decided we wanted to adopt and that decision has evolved and changed until we’re at the place we are now…content and excitedly looking forward to what little baby will be coming our way in the near future.

When we started this journey, we had figured we’d go with the route of adoption through the foster care system. But when we met with Erika at Christian Family Care Agency, we both realized we wanted to instead do a newborn adoption. The idea of meeting a pregnant mom and getting to know her and be there to take the baby home from the hospital just seemed amazing to us!

So now we’ve started our home study process and have gone through six of seven classes through our agency. Once our home study is over in about a month, we’ll get put in a Match Book which expectant moms use to find homes for their unborn babies. There are also other ways placement can happen…such as  safe haven babies, or a mom who decided to give up her child for adoption while at the hospital giving birth. You just never know what will happen.

One of the amazing things about this processed is what we’ve learned about ourselves during it. We’ve come to terms with the infertility problems. That stuff will always be with us, but it’s not weighing us down anymore. We’ve become at ease with our situation. Even the adoption process…which could see us waiting up to a year (or it could take a single day)…we’re not impatient. We’re not stressing about it. We’re just moving forward knowing God has a special child just waiting for us and when it’s time for that to happen…it will happen.

My goal is to keep everyone updated on our progress. Some of you probably remember how nuts I was about writing during the time Jina was pregnant with Lyla…and while I’m just a lot busier than I was then, I want to make an attempt to do the same thing for the adoption stuff. We have some awesome stuff to show Lyla someday about the journey to her being born and I want to do the same thing for the new little baby we’ll have soon.

One more thing. Adoption can be expensive. Right now the government gives pretty significant tax credits for families that adopt, but there is still a big chunk that we need to come up with. We’ll be brainstorming some ideas to help raise funds for this, as is pretty common with people we know who have adopted. We want to ask our friends and family to pray about whether or not they want to be a part of this journey by helping out at some point financially.

More to come…if you have any questions, please ask below or email myself or jina: mikeolbinski @ gmail . com OR  jinaolbinski @ gmail . com.

17 Responses to “We’re adopting!”

1. Alex Evjen says:

I’m so EXCITED for you guys! Let me know if you need help putting fundraising stuff together! =)

2. April Mecham says:

This is so cool! In December, my sister and brother in law just adopted a baby from Christian Family Care! Congratulations to you, Jina and Lyla!

3. Allison Teri says:

I’m very excited for you Olbinskis!! What a lucky lucky baby out there to be given the chance to be part of your family!! Ready to help when the time comes :)

4. Yasmine says:

Congrats to you guys! Praying for you lads.

5. Justin says:

That is great news Mike! Hollar once you get your fund raising ideas in line and I will spread the word.

6. Chris Nitz says:

This is such wonderful news to read! I wish you two the best. It sounds like a bit time of flux as you wait to find out when you will a new little one in the home, but it also sounds like you two are prepared for the wait. All the best, congrats, and best wishes from the Nitz clan!!

7. jina says:

Thanks guys… for the support you always provided. We are excited about what is in store for us as we journey down this path. I’ll make sure Mike keeps everyone updated.

8. Congratulations!! I just saw this news in my twitter feed; that’s exciting! I wish you God’s grace and peace on your journey through the whole process…

9. Josie says:

Every time I hear about it, my stomach jumps. So excited for you guys! :) Can’t wait to welcome in a new little Olbinski!

10. Stefanie says:

You guys are amazing! All the best for you!!

11. Congrats you guys. Reading that put a smile on my face.

12. Very cool. Congratulations!

13. Congrats to you both!

14. That’s great! Congrats!

15. Heather Anderson says:

Jon told me the news last night. We will be praying for this amazing journey for your family. So super excited for you guys. Jon and I will pray about to help you guys financially. Love to you all and miss you tons.

16. Gramma Grace says:

This is the best news ever. I am glad you opted for a newborn, little onesare so precious. Keep us up to date. Will help when time comes. Love you all.

17. [...] on our plans to adopt came almost two months ago. If you missed it, you can read all about it by clicking here. I meant to keep everyone in the know on  how things were going, but I’ve been traveling, [...]